Day 29 – The Spirit is our Advocate
Scriptures to Meditate On and Pray Through –
- If you abide (remain, dwell) in me and my words abide in you, ask whatever you want, and it will be done for you. – John 15:7
- As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. – John 15:9-10
- You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. – John 15:16
- Until now you have asked for nothing in my name; … In that day you will ask in my name. – John 16:24, 26
- But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. – John 14:26
How to Pray: Abiding in Christ –
Our acceptance with God, our access to Him is only possible through and is all in Christ Jesus. As we consciously abide in Him we have freedom, not a freedom to our old nature or our self-will (which has been put to death), but the divine freedom from all self-will, to ask what we will, our requests in harmony within the power of the new nature and God’s ultimate divine will, knowing it will be done. If we remain in the fellowship, our intercession will be effective. We will not have to be concerned about whether we are being heard and whether our requests will be granted. If we are in the will of God we can be assured of the answer. But here in the challenge lies. So often we assume the will of God. We do not ask, we do not enter His Presence, we do not abide. Only in knowing God personally and intimately in this abiding can we ask anything in His name and be assured of the answer. Let us guard and keep this secret and sacred place of abiding. May we believe even now that our intercession is heard, and that the Spirit of supplication will be given all around us.
What to Pray: Praying in the Name for Repentance and Revival
If nothing else our school of intercession has taught us how little we have prayed in the name of Jesus! He promised His disciples that in that day, when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, you will ask in My name. Why are there not tens of thousands with us mourning the lack of the power of intercession? Let our intercession today be for them and all God’s children, that Christ may teach us that the Holy Spirit is in us, and what it is to live in His fullness, and to yield ourselves to His complete work within us. The church and the world need nothing so much as a mighty Spirit of intercession to bring down the power of God on earth. Intercession and advocacy are closely tied ideas. The Spirit intercedes for us as an advocate on our behalf before the Father. Pray for the descent from heaven of the Spirit of intercession for a great prayer revival. A revival that will bring with it justice. What we are seeing in our day is a direct result of a lack of repentance at the injustice all around us. It is a lack of intercession for God to work His justice in our hearts and through our lives. It is a lack of courage to abide in Him and respond to His Spirit that is advocating for those who need His justice. As Christians, we are among those who need His justice to come.
As we intercede our hearts are aligned in the abiding and then like Jesus we will work justice on the earth, thus we cry out for Him to be our Savior, our Deliverer. We are to be grieving for the lack of His Kingdom come. The first step is intercession. Let us cry out in the powerful Name of Jesus that His Kingdom will would be done on the earth!
Add Your Own Prayers and Receive God’s Answers